Sunday, May 3, 2015

ANOTHER YEAR, ANOTHER LETTER



Document: 117      From Nettie Bullis to Cousin Eleanor      Date: June 4, 1911
From Address: Macedon, NY

"My dear Cousin Eleanor,

Ever since I sent you the Easter card, I've meant to have written and told you how I appreciated your nice long letter received sometime ago.

It has been a most perfect Sunday, with a refreshing breeze this afternoon. If June is anything like May was, we will have plenty of warm days without even a breeze.

How sad about Uncle John's death. I am so sorry for Aunt Josephine and the girls. A paper came yesterday from San Antonio. It seems so sad that some of his relatives weren't there.

Examinations come next week; I have several to try. At present I am debating on whether to go into this years class or not. Mr. Crane said that I thought to go in; Miss Ladner said she thought as I did, that it was a foolish waste of time. I don't like to take the time from my studies, to learn an essay and then get up and deliver it in public. Did you have to write an essay when you graduated? I have got one nearly written on the topic "Life like every other blessing derives its value from its use." I think the law requires one to write an essay, but not to deliver it: it is the custom here, however, to deliver them.

You wondered at my knowing that old-furniture was one of your fads. Something you said the summer you were here led me to believe as I did. I have not fixed up any old pieces lately, yet there are a number that need fixing. A friend loaned me some of her last years Ladies Home Journals, that contained articles on old furniture and house decorations. You wrote you would send me some clippings on furniture when you get them together. I assure you I shall appreciate them. Aunt Helen sent up the Saturday Evening Posts of 1906. With the articles on furniture by the Shacheltons. I hope I can get papa to help fix up the fireplace in the sitting room, this summer. I am very fond of fireplaces, there are two in this house, yet I have never seen an open fire.

A week ago I fixed  a flower bed on the south side of the house and planted part of a package of mixed flower seeds. "A wild garden mixture" said to contain over 400 kinds of flower seeds. I have to let every thing that comes up grow, weeds and all, for I fear I might make a mistake and pull flowers instead of weeds. As I was fixing the bed my thoughts involuntarily turned back to the days when I used to go with Aunt Amy after dirt for her plants. She was a great lover of flowers.

Last fall Papa built a new front stoop. It is 10ft wide and 20ft long; or rather, I should say that he built at it, he has not got the railing up yet. I hope he can get it up soon, and get it painted so that we can start some vines. I imagine it will be a pleasant retreat for the summer, but honestly, cousin, I was sorry to see the old stoop go. Our great grandfather Bullis probably built it when he built the house.

You asked if I saw much of Jessie and Aunt Lydia. I saw Aunt Lydia Thursday afternoon, but I have not seen Jessie since the fall of 1908.

Do you intend to teach school this coming fall? I don't know for sure, what I shall do, I think I shall do some sewing about the first thing after examinations. I have not done any lately, and have run rather short of clothes.

I have a hard cold now, which seems rather out of place in this kind of weather. I hope you are well.

It is getting late and if I don't stop you will be glad that I am tardy in answering letters. With much love,

Nettie

Write me again soon.

No comments: