Wednesday, September 2, 2009

BACK TO SCHOOL

A list of 2009 school supplies may be longer than a list from the early 20th century, but it still includes some standard #2 pencils, which is what 15-year-old Charles R. Bullis probably used when he wrote this essay in 1906. And it also contains an element of that familiar assignment, “How I Spent My Summer Vacation.” We hope you enjoy it.


How I tried to make a Steam Engine

Last summer I was much interested in trying to make a little steam engine. I used a baking powder can cover fitted into a shoe blacking box which I intended to solder together for the boiler and a thirty two caliber cartridge in which I filed a hole near each end for the piston cylinder For the steam valve I found some solder which I melted and with much difficulty molde into the proper shape and filed smooth. I used a piece of a bicycle spoke with screwerheads on the end so that two pieces of metal could be screwed up together and hold packind to prevent steam leakage. The plug is the open end of the cartridge through which the piston rod passes I made of two pieces of lead one to screw into the other so as to hold packing. I molded the ballance wheel of lead and filed an exceentric on it but when I melted my remaining solder which I intended should hold the parts in place I fit it into the fire. I then tried babbit metal but it bubbled and was no good for so slender a casting and as I did not have any more time before school commenced I did not finish it. Sometime when I have time I will finish it and see if it will run. It is to have a safety valve but no governor.

Charles R. Bullis, A thursday lesson from page 14 in the rhetoric

Good

No comments: